1.Lift properly. Never lift while bending or twisting at the waist. Use the strength of your legs, not your back to lift.
2. Take frequent breaks from prolonged sitting when at work, traveling, or at home. Get up and move around, stretch every 30 minutes.
3. Sleep on your side with knees slightly bend, not on your stomach. Use a supportive pillow or mattress to keep your spine straight.
4. Nicotine restricts blood flow to the spinal area making pain and injury more likely. stop smoking.
5. Exercise, eat wisely, and keep your weight within ten pounds of your ideal weight to take the strain of your back.
6. pregnancy places extra demands on the back which often causes pain. You would benefit from regular exercise and chiropractic care during the course of pregnancy.
7. Do not read or watch TV in bed or on furniture that does not give you proper support.
8. The body's foundation starts with the feet, so wear proper foot wear whenever possible. This can also help to reduce the strain your feet place on the back and hips. Have your foot biomechanics examined. You may benefit from wearing orthotics.
Posted by Dr. Babak Missaghi